If you are anything like me, fitting a workout into your day lands at the bottom of the to-do list all too often. Whether you are lacking in time, motivation, or both, the new year is here and we have all thought about the improvements we could make to our health.
Instead of making a half-hearted commitment to endless hours on the treadmill, start 2018 by doing more with less using this quick 20-minute workout:
You will need access to a little floor space and one kettlebell. A 20 lb. kettlebell is a good starting point, but the weight you use will be highly dependent on your personal ability.
- Complete 5 pushups and 10 bodyweight squats.
- Take a moment to stretch out any areas that feel sore or tight.
- Complete another 5 pushups and 10 squats.
- Re-assess your soreness. Once everything feels loose then begin the circuit below.
Start a timer and complete as many rounds as you can in 20 minutes. Rest for ~30 seconds at the end of each round.
- 5 repetitions per side – Kettlebell Push Press
- 10 repetitions – Pushups
- 20 repetitions – Kettlebell Goblet Squat
- 25 repetitions – Kettlebell Swing
Proper form is crucial for all exercises (videos linked). If your form begins to break down, rest a moment and begin again using proper form.
When you have completed the workout, take a minute to stretch out any areas where you feel tension. Breathe deeply.
Get some lean protein and quality carbohydrates shortly after your workout. Spend a moment reflecting on the exercises you did. What did you like? What will you change next time you do this workout?
Keep in mind that visible change and noticeable strengthening of muscles will require repetition of this workout over time. In 2018, let’s remember that the best workout plan for YOU is the one you enjoy enough to do regularly.